Friday, April 23, 2010

This is the way their world ends


"I never liked the way she looked at me after 1 month of dating. It had this strange tired and disinterested glare."

He often thought he was over looking things. There were plenty of other problems to consider. Like the end of civilization. He felt guilty about it. It's not like he tried to think about petty issues. It was probably a way of justifying his existence. When everything you know, loved, hated... was reduced to ash or perhaps some vague symbolism found on a survived poster, you kinda have to consider your past.

"This isn't dating. This isn't anything. You're just here and I'm here. You make me feel alive, but I don't love you. You're just convenient. This is not dating. There is no such thing as dating anymore."

It's like love had been killed as well. She couldn't be blamed. He often pondered why she hadn't killed herself. Finding a nearly inexhaustible source of food can wrinkle a few plans.

"That's it then."
"I'm just being honest with you."
"Ya know, if things were different... Say, perhaps, I dunno... Maybe if the world wasn't GONE. Then I'd appreciate your honesty. But right now, I see enough truth. I wouldn't mind having some good old fashioned dishonesty. You know, white lies... Perhaps some false hope to clutch after the apocalypse. "
"I'm going to go up."
"Yeah, you do that."

She walked through the corridor and up the small emergency hatch leading to the elevator able to withstand the initial shock of a nuclear blast. Everything had been labeled for them.

Meeting each other had been an accident. Or at least she thought so. They just both woke up in the bunkers infirmary stark naked. There was a lot of confusion.

They did know the world was gone. At least... People were. The ISS even took a few hours to give up. Guess those psyche tests for astronauts didn't account for what people do when there is nothing left.

He often walked around the bunkers main attraction.

"It's funny." He said, interrupting her topside by using an intercom.
"I'm not talking to you."
"Hmmm... I'm tempted."
"No you're not."
"I'm standing next to a nuclear missile. I have a key to destroy us. Which from what we know, we're all that's left."
"Fine. Do it or don't. I don't care anymore."
"Think about it though... I have the power to end everything."
"You idiot. We're already dead, I could pop out 20 babies but we'd still be doomed."
"Yeah. Time is relative though. Think about now. I... I'm God."
"Of all the people I'm spending my last days with... I get him."

This was the second time he did this in a week. She remains convinced it's some kind of an attempt to create an interest in him she hadn't had before. Or to distract her from all of his confessed sexual fantasies. Or perhaps hide his impression that they were and have been a couple since they first had sex.

"You shouldn't go up there. It's not safe."
"There's a huge layer of glass. It's called the observation pod for a reason. I think I'll die here."
"What, now?"
"No... Maybe. If you keep talking. All of this technology and they don't include an off button on the intercom."
"You hate me."
"I hate talking."
"I still think it's a simulation."
"..."
"Some kind of loyalty test for citizens... some experiment."
"And we're the rats in the maze. My god. You're so smart."
"Heh... Pun intended!"

No comments:

Post a Comment